Forums || DKP || Apply

Yume, Denial, aaaaaaaaaaand

Talk about whatever here.

Moderators: Snow, Lemmiwinks, futureal

Postby shiv_ on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:42 am

I think I am gonna get the E6600.
shiv_

Postby Denial on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:53 am

Also AMD releases there FX-64 soon, which is a 4 core processor set to destroy the conroe, so you may want to look into that also.

AMD looks like it has the future of gaming in it's hands, compared to Intel. Right now intel may have the edge, but amd made a few smart moves in order to secure itself for things like Physics processing.

The problem with Physics now is the data processing between the Physics card, CPU and GPU. Currently the software (game) calls for (X) object to be drawn in a havoc/Aegis physics system. The CPU then sends that data to the Physics card to be calculated. The Physics card then sends the information back to the CPU, then the CPU relays the information to the video card to be rendered. This is why performance using a Physics card is lower then not using one. In current systems without, it's just the CPU processing the physics then sending it to the GPU.

Theres two ways Physics processing can be done in the future, to make it worth while. One would be linking the Physics processing unit with the GPU directly. With direct X 10 Technology, a GPU will be able to "upstream" data through it's pipeline. So basically if it already sent a piece of information through it's shader engine, it then can go back and send the same piece but change it if something interferes. This seems like a simple solution to the problem, effectively removing the need for the PPU to talk to the processor.

The second way is to attach the PPU onto the graphics card. In AMD/ATI's situation (AMD bought ATI) They can easily do this and work together to make it right. As of right now, PCI-E does not contain enough bandwidth for content to be upsteamed back to the processor. If the processor say, sends something to the video card, the video card has trouble sending information back to the processor. So chances are a new slot will appear also, maybe PCI-E2 or something.

AMD will also benefit from it in other ways.
Life is waiting for the one who loves to live, and it is not a secret...
Denial

Postby shiv_ on Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Yeah I already know about that trash. I am sure its going to cost an arm and a leg. My plan was to wait to see what the release date was, and when the conroe prices drop accordingly, I will pick one up :D.

The E6600 IMO is the best bang for your buck. Still has the 4 meg cache, and its like just barely slower than the 6700, and 250 bucks cheaper.

Also, physics processors won't make a very big difference until gaming companies start coding to cater to the phys. processor's capabilities. IIRC, I think UT2007 will be doing this, which is one of the first (but not the only) games to announce this. And since UT has, IMO, always been a really solid line, I expect that UT2007 will be fuckin sick.
shiv_

Postby Yume on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:12 pm

BTW i got my computer working a few days ago and I can attest to the fact that the XFX 7950gx2 with a Conroe is the slickest thing on the block. It runs 60fps pretty much constantly with all settings maxed at 2560x1600 resolution. Can't ask for anything more at all.

pics!

Yume

Postby kkay on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:54 pm

HEY LOOK ITS ME!
kkay

Postby Denial on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Yume wrote:BTW i got my computer working a few days ago and I can attest to the fact that the XFX 7950gx2 with a Conroe is the slickest thing on the block. It runs 60fps pretty much constantly with all settings maxed at 2560x1600 resolution. Can't ask for anything more at all.

pics!

told you.
Life is waiting for the one who loves to live, and it is not a secret...
Denial

Previous

Return to Public Discussion