A Burning Legion World of Warcraft Guild

Forums || DKP || Apply

Net Neutrality - legislation

Talk about whatever here.

Moderators: Snow, Lemmiwinks, futureal

Net Neutrality - legislation

Postby Denial on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:35 am

http://136.142.210.78/cw/ubb/cgi/ultima ... p=1#000005

Originally posted by T®ÜNKS: Well, I've heard one side of the coin. That "Net Neutrality" is a bill currently being looked at by our robotic overlord masters in congress. It proposes to give exclusive rights to certain corporations to provide internet services, or so I have read.

Basicly this means if http://www.momandpopsstore.com doesn't give enough money to a certain ISP or pay some kind of tax (i don't know the terminology) that isp will not go "out of its way to make that site efficient to its users." Basicly companies will dictate what loads faster (or loads at all).

read more about it here

http://www.savetheinternet.com/
and here

http://www.dontmesswiththenet.com/

apparently ebay, amazon, etc are all up in arms and upset about it.

that's one side of the coin i've heard. i'm sure there's another side to it. everyone says that this is not idle talk but may actually be a serious thread - can anyone confirm? tbh i half expect this to blow over and nothing to be done about it, but who knows..

Companies like Verzion and AT&T are trying to control what's avaliable on the internet, when do people stop?
Life is waiting for the one who loves to live, and it is not a secret...
Denial

Postby Ichron on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Places mentioned, like Amazon, eBay, and other high profile sites that are not affiliated with ISPs like AT&T and Verizon will not go down without a fight. They'd rather spend their money on winning hte case than caving and being pushed around to give the money to the ISPs. Don't expect anything to change from the way it is now.
Ichron

Postby Impatient on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Didn't realize such drastic steps were being taken to mediate what's put up on the web. As dumb as it sounds but sites like ebaum's world I'd imagine would be the first sites to be moderated...amirite?
Impatient

Postby Sugoda on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:35 pm

It's no surprise really. The government has been looking into expanding their role on the internet. They've tried to impose taxes on email in the past as well as many other avenues to increase revenue.

Then again, they've also done things like recently having an entire city setup on free WiFi. They're trying this in an attempt to save consumers some money from cable costs and other expenses. Off-set some of the increase in taxes and cost of living. If it's successful it could be expanded to more cities which would be nice.
Sugoda

Postby Yume on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Sugoda wrote:Then again, they've also done things like recently having an entire city setup on free WiFi.
Local governments have done this, not congress — there definitely is a distinction to be made.
Yume

Postby Ichron on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Sugoda wrote:It's no surprise really. The government has been looking into expanding their role on the internet. They've tried to impose taxes on email in the past as well as many other avenues to increase revenue.

Then again, they've also done things like recently having an entire city setup on free WiFi. They're trying this in an attempt to save consumers some money from cable costs and other expenses. Off-set some of the increase in taxes and cost of living. If it's successful it could be expanded to more cities which would be nice.

They have never tried to impose taxes on emails. It was a hoax, and because of the actions of people speaking out against it, they actually made legislation that specifically forbade ever attempting to impose a tax on emails. I don't know what your source was, but they were completely wrong.
Last edited by Ichron on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichron

Postby Impatient on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:15 pm

("\( 0.o )/")
Impatient

Return to Public Discussion